Banana plantations - Costa Rica
The major sources of waste in banana plantations are:
- Organic banana waste
- Chemical waste
- Plastic waste
Organic banana waste and chemical waste are most effectively dealt with by microbial activity
Microbial activity is:
- reliant on carbon sources (potentially sourced from organic matter) and
- discouraged by acidic soils (potentially encouraged by the use of non-organic fertilisers).
Microbial activity important in three ways:
- It degrades organic waste
- In the process returning minerals to the soil
- Reducing the need for non-organic fertilisers.
Click on the link for a detailed explanation of “a musa based ecosystem”.